(817) 550-7484 | [email protected]
Statistics on Weddings in the United States
- 2.3 million couples wed every year in the US. That breaks down to nearly 6,200 weddings a day!
- 72% of all brides said "they wish they would have spent more time choosing their reception entertainment".
- Entertainment, on the average, is 4% of the cost of the entire reception (Jayden Thomas Entertainment feels that securing the right entertainment represents 80% of the success of the reception).
- During wedding planning, Brides say their highest priority is their attire, followed by the reception site and caterer - reception entertainment is among the least of their priorities. Within one week after their reception, 78% of Brides said they would have made the entertainment their highest priority!
- When asked, 81% of guests say the thing they remembered most about a wedding is the entertainment / reception.
- 65% of all couples that chose a band to entertain at their wedding, said, if they had it to do over again, they would have chosen an Entertainer or Disc Jockey. (Our Comment: This is mainly due to the fact that DJ’s don’t typically take breaks, and we are more versatile in accommodating requests and customizing the entertainment. We have yet to see a band perform the garter auction, bouquet toss, grand march, etc.).
- Average age of a bride in the US is 25.3.
- Average age of a groom is 26.9
- Average number of guests invited to a wedding is 178.
- One-third of those getting married each year have been married before.
The Money Behind The Marriage
- $72 billion per year is spent on weddings.
- 93% of the brides say they would have spent more of their budget on the entertainment.
- The average wedding budget is $20,000.
- The average wedding DJ nationally costs $1,200 - $1,500.
- $1,016 is the average cost of wedding rings for the bride and groom.
- Traditionally, the father of the bride would pay for everything. Today, however, the bride and groom themselves pay for the wedding about 30 percent of the time; the bride's parents pay about 17 percent of the time. As for the rest of the time, costs are covered by different sources -- the bride and groom and one or both sets of parents, according to surveys by Bride's magazine.
- $19 billion per year is spent on wedding gift registries.
- $8 billion per year is spent on honeymoons.
- The average honeymoon budget is $3,657.
- Over 91 percent of all to-be-weds register for gifts. The couple receives gifts from an average of 200 guests.
- Most wedding guests spend between $70 and $100 on a gift.
Timing of Weddings
June is the most popular month for weddings, then August, followed by September and October in the Northern part of the US. The south is the complete opposite
- 99 percent of newlyweds take a honeymoon.
- The average couple will spend three times more on their honeymoon than a regular vacation.
- 40 percent of honeymooners will travel within the United States and about 60 percent will travel to a foreign country.
- Honeymoons usually last 7 to 9 days.
- The most popular destinations are Las Vegas, Hawaii, the Caribbean, and Jamaica. 35 percent of brides and grooms have a valid passport.
Other Interesting Info
The top wedding city in the world is Istanbul, Turkey with 166,000 weddings for the year.
Las Vegas, Nevada is in second place with 114,000 weddings.
Sources for our statistics:
US Census Bureau http://www.census.gov/Press-Release/www/2003/cb03ff02.html
The Knot (http://www.theknot.com/au_industrystats.shtml),
The Association for Wedding Professionals International (http://www.afwpi.com/wedstats)
Bride's Millennium Report: Wedding Love & Money
St. Louis Bride & Groom Magazine in 2003
USA Today, 2002
National Bridal Service, 2001
The Knot, 2002
Brides Magazine, 2001